m.a.s. 'Q & A' with
London Mosaic Artist - Gary Drostle
- m.a.s. Congrats Mr. President, how does it feel to be the prez of the British Association for Modern Mosaic, having fun yet?
- Gary Still not really sure what it means, they didn’t give me a job description, I’m pretty sure that I should be doing more. Still any excuse to talk mosaic some more.
- m.a.s. always so modest ;-)
- m.a.s. any new developments you can share with us ?
- Gary Well I’m most excited about BAMM’s big news for 2007, the publication of our first edition of ‘Andamento’ this beautiful new journal will contain five illustrated essays on contemporary mosaic. The first issue includes articles on Jane Muir, Gertrude Martin at Wilton, Trompe L’Oiel in mosaic and Church Mosaics at Studley Royal. This issue will be free to members so make sure you join at www.bamm.org.uk
- m.a.s. Fantastic, sounds like a real mosaic magazine, just the thing us die hard mosaic enthuisiasts have been waiting for!
- m.a.s. I know you're busy & I promised this would be quick so just a few questions...
- m.a.s. Why mosaics?
- Gary There’s something about pattern and all that work that is so accesible and alluring to people. It’s also a medium that’s just continually kept me amazed at the variety and richness.
- m.a.s. Who taught you to mosaic?
- Gary I had an afternoon talking to a fascinating guy in a terrazzo factory, who gave me some great pointers, then I read Arthur Goodwins book which was great, then I just learnt from making all the mistakes along the way.
- m.a.s. Advice you'll never forget?
- Gary God I’ve got such a bad memory!
- m.a.s. best mosaic tip?
- Gary Don’t panic
- m.a.s. Art/Artists who inspire you?
- Gary Irina Charny, Dugald MacInnes, The standard of Ur, Cave painting, Roman Mosaics, Diego Rivera
- m.a.s. Favorite mosaic tesserae to work with?
- Gary Unglazed ceramic (porcelain) it’s so easy and precise.
- m.a.s. Favorite part of creating a mosaic?
- Gary Peeling the paper off (indirect technique)
- m.a.s. Worst part?
- Gary Chopping tiles down to quarters before you can start
- m.a.s. Most challenging mosaic?
- Gary Always the last one
- m.a.s. After you've finished a mosaic, do you ever see little things you wish you'd done differently?
- Gary All I see is all the things I should have done differently
m.a.s. Glad to know I'm not the only one, you have no idea how much better that makes me feel! ;-)
- m.a.s. Most frustrating mosaic experience?
- Gary Mosaic panels on metal delaminating
- m.a.s. Most rewarding?
- Gary First time standing in a room with hundreds of people who all want to talk about cement and tiles (sama conference San Francisco)
- m.a.s. That's where I first met you, of course I was in awe! It was at the SAMA closing party & afterwards we all jumped into a limo to celebrate & cruise the streets of SF. You English men sure know how to party, would you say that's a typical night out for you in London?
- Gary Oh yes, of course we always travel in Limos in London (if only). Really though if you get a bunch of hardened mosaic addicts together like the SAMA conference does each year, then anything could happen. It was quite a feat to calm everyone down enough to get them into a limo the excitement was almost too much, do you say jumpin like mexican beans in Canada?
- m.a.s. ;-)
- m.a.s. You won the"International Mosaic of the Year Award" for your infamous fishpond does it bother you that people sometimes refer to you as the "fishman"?
- Gary Being referred to at all is amazing
- m.a.s. Do you do it all yourself from conception to installation?
- Gary No, I often have help for the construction in the studio, especially from Claire Notley and Maria Starling who are great mosaic makers. I also have an assistant for installations on larger mosaics.
- m.a.s. You're working on a new website, are you replacing the old one?
- Gary The new site is designed to compliment the drostle.com site. It has really been produced in response to questions from customers and aims to give a simple step by step guide to commissioning your own mosaic. Whereas the drostle.com site is really an online mosaic portfolio.
- m.a.s. You're also an amazing visual artist, how do you find time to do it all?
- Gary Isn’t mosaic visual art, if you mean my murals well they are just mosaics for people who don’t have enough money, I don’t have time for any other work these days.
- m.a.s. Thank you for allowing us to feature your mosaic art in our gallery Gary, will you be at the SAMA conference this year?
- Gary Of course.
- m.a.s. See you in Mesa!
Mosaic Art Source Gallery - Mosaic Artist - Gary Drostle
Mosaic Art Source Gallery - Mosaic Artist - Irina Charny
Mosaic Art Source Resources - Mosaic Art Associations
For further details please visit the artist's site Gary Drostle Mosaics